Monday 23 January 2017

Hit and myth: a legendary tour of Pembrokeshire

Following two newly devised trails in north Pembrokeshire, Kevin Rushby finds an area thick with antiquity – from neolithic to Napoleonic eras – and more soul than Stonehenge can muster

On a lonely road near the village of Eglwyswrw in Pembrokeshire, I pull over as instructed and check my position. I can see the crags up on the ridge to my left, and I can see the boggy ground between. This must be the spot. I set off on foot up the squelchy, tussocky slope, picking a circuitous path towards the ridge and those distinctive crags, part of the Preseli hills.

The Welsh tourist board has dubbed 2017 a Year of Legends to celebrate the land’s epic past, with events and new routes encouraging visitors to explore. Pembrokeshire is particularly rich in history and I’m trying out part of the recently unveiled 118-mile Legends Cycle Route, as well as the pick-and-mix Legends Tombstone Trail, which covers all of south-west Wales (both can be done by either bike or car).

Continue reading…

from Travel | The Guardian ift.tt/2jPAXkG

The post Hit and myth: a legendary tour of Pembrokeshire appeared first on YachtAweigh.



source http://yachtaweigh.com/hit-and-myth-a-legendary-tour-of-pembrokeshire/

No comments:

Post a Comment